It’s not too late to file a tax return to claim your missing stimulus money! The IRS extended the tax-filing deadline to May 17, 2021. Even after the deadline, you can still file to claim your money! If you do not owe any Federal taxes, then you can file your return after the deadline without a penalty - in fact, you have 3 years to claim your refund. For information on the Child Tax Credit, visit the Tax Help page.

Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit (CTC) has been expanded for 2021.

  • Families may qualify for a monthly advance payment of up to $300 per month per child until the end of 2021! You can receive up to half of your credit in 2021. You will claim the other half of the credit when they file their 2021 tax returns in 2022.
  • The credit amounts have been increased to $3,600 per child under 6 and $3,000 per child age 6-17 for most families.
  • Non-tax filers, including those with no or very little income, are now eligible for the credit.

Who is eligible for the 2021 Child Tax Credit?

  • Families qualify for the maximum credit amount if their income for 2021 is up to:
    • $150,000 for those filing as married filing jointly
    • $112,500 for those filing as head of household
    • $75,000 for all other filers
  • A child qualifies your family for the 2021 CTC if:
    • The child is your son, daughter, grandchild, stepchild or adopted child; younger sibling, step-sibling, half-sibling, or their descendent; or a foster child placed with you by a government agency; and
    • The child is under age 18 at the end of 2021; and
    • The child has a valid Social Security Number; and
    • The child lived with you in the United States for more than half of 2021; and
    • The child did not provide over half of their own support for 2021.
  • Individuals who do not have Social Security Numbers but who have qualifying children with Social Security Numbers can receive the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

How much money will families receive through the advance monthly payments?

  • $300 per month per child under age 6
  • $250 per month per child age 6-17
  • The IRS will disburse payments on the 15th day of each month (or the nearest business day) from July 2021 to December 2021
  • The advance payments do NOT count as income and will not affect eligibility for public benefits
  • A family enrolled in the advance payments will receive half of their 2021 Child Tax Credit through the advance payments. They will claim the other half of the credit when they file their 2021 tax return.

How does a family enroll in the advance monthly payments?

  • Families who have already filed tax returns for 2019 or 2020 and who used the IRS Non-Filer Tool in 2020 to sign up for stimulus checks will automatically be enrolled in the advance payments.
    • If you should have been enrolled automatically but weren’t, contact us at (888) 553-9777 or
  • Families who have not filed tax returns for 2019 or 2020 should file a 2020 tax return to let the IRS know they are eligible for the advance payments. They can do so by either:
    • Filing a full tax return (best for most families with earned income) or
    • Filing a simplified tax return using the IRS Non-Filer Tool or (best for families that are not required to file a tax return, don’t qualify for credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit [EITC], and are only filing a return to enroll in the advance payments of the CTC and/or claim missing stimulus checks through the Recovery Rebate Credit)

What if my income has changed from last year, my address has changed, or I have a new child?

  • You should use the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP) on the IRS website to let the IRS know about changes to your situation.
  • The IRS is updating the CTC Update Portal over time:
    • Right now, you can use the CTC Update Portal to:
      • Provide or update your direct deposit information
      • Update your mailing address
      • Check if you’re enrolled to receive advance payments
      • Unenroll to stop getting advance payments
    • In late summer, the IRS projects that you will be able to:
      • Update the number of qualifying children
      • Update your income
      • Change your marital status
      • Re-enroll in the advance payments if you previously unenrolled
Scroll to Top