Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit (CTC) was expanded for 2021.

  • Non-tax filers, including those with no or very little income, are eligible for the 2021 credit.
  • The credit amounts were increased to $3,600 per child under 6 and $3,000 per child age 6-17 for most families.
  • Some families received advance monthly payments of the credit during the last 6 months of 2021. They must claim the other half of their credit by filing a 2021 tax return in 2022.
  • Families who haven’t been receiving the advance payments can claim the full credit by filing a 2021 tax return in 2022.

Who is eligible for the 2021 Child Tax Credit?

  • Families qualify for the maximum credit amount if their income for 2021 is up to:
    • $150,000 for those filing as married filing jointly
    • $112,500 for those filing as head of household
    • $75,000 for all other filers
  • A child qualifies your family for the 2021 CTC if:
    • The child is your son, daughter, grandchild, stepchild or adopted child; younger sibling, step-sibling, half-sibling, or their descendent; or a foster child placed with you by a government agency; and
    • The child is under age 18 at the end of 2021; and
    • The child has a valid Social Security Number; and
    • The child lived with you in the United States for more than half of 2021; and
    • The child did not provide over half of their own support for 2021.
  • Individuals who do not have Social Security Numbers but who have qualifying children with Social Security Numbers can receive the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

Did you receive the advance monthly payments?

  • A family enrolled in the advance payments should have received half of their 2021 CTC through the advance payments. To claim the other half of the credit they must file a 2021 tax return.

How does a family enroll in the advance monthly payments?

  • There are no more monthly payments currently being issued in 2022.
  • Families who have already filed tax returns for 2019 or 2020 or who used the IRS Non-Filer Tool in 2020 to sign up for stimulus checks will automatically be enrolled in the advance payments.
    • If you should have been enrolled automatically but weren’t, contact us at (888) 553-9777 or
  • Families who have not received any CTC need to file a 2021 tax return to claim the credit.
  • If you already filed a tax return for one of these years, don’t file again. You’ll need to file an amended return if you did not claim all your tax credits.

What if my income has changed from last year, my address has changed, or I have a new child?

  • You should use the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP) on the IRS website to let the IRS know about changes to your situation.
  • The IRS is updating the CTC Update Portal over time:
    • You can use the CTC Update Portal to:
      • Provide or update your direct deposit information
      • Update your mailing address
      • Update your income
      • Check if you’re enrolled to receive advance payments
      • Unenroll to stop getting advance payments

We'd love to hear from you!

Please let us know what you need help with with this short 3-minute survey.

Father and son at the Lucha Libre in the Park