Tax Credits & Filing Options

Blue helping hand icon

You could get thousands of dollars back, even if you don’t need to file a tax return.

Hundreds or even thousands of dollars are available in tax credits, especially for low-income individuals and families. Even if you are not required to file a tax return, you could receive a tax refund when you file taxes. For example, you may get money back by filing if you:

  • Had income tax withheld from your pay, pension, social security or other income
  • Care for your dependent children - you may be eligible for the Child Tax Credit
  • Work but earn less than $57,000 - you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Were eligible for but didn’t receive the first and/or second stimulus check - you may be eligible for the 复苏退税抵免
  • See the full list of those who can file to receive additional funds even if they don’t have to file

Filing your taxes right away could put you in line for a higher payment this year!

Click below to learn more about:

Missed a past refund? You have 3 years to claim your refund! If you were owed a refund on your 2019 or 2018 tax return, it’s not too late to claim it! Learn more below.

Stacked bill with question mark icon

I need to file a return - what are my low-cost options?

File Online for Free

You may be eligible to file your taxes online for free using GetYourRefund.orgUnited Way’s MyFreeTaxes website.

If you earn less than $72,000 a year, you are eligible to use online tax software at no cost through Free File on the IRS website. Be aware that while you can file a federal return for free, you may have to pay a fee for filing a state return with some of the software brands available through IRS Free File - be sure to read all the details.

You may be able to receive more money with your Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) this year! Due a new “look-back” provision in the last relief bill, you may receive a higher EITC and Child Tax Credit if you earned less in 2020 than in 2019. You can use your 2019 earnings to calculate those credits if that would give you higher credits than using your 2020 earnings. Be sure to have your 2019 tax return available when you prepare your 2020 tax return.

Get free individualized tax help

If you earn less than $66,000 and don’t own rental property or a farm, you may be eligible for free tax help through Code for America’s Get Your Refund program: The website allows you to check EITC and CTC eligibility, as well as get connected to free online filing or a volunteer tax preparer for additional help. If you haven’t filed taxes any time in the last three years, the team can also help you claim past tax refunds.

You may also be eligible to have your taxes prepared for free by nonprofit organizations participating in the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. To find your nearest VITA site, visit

Filing prior-year returns

If you use tax software to prepare your prior-year return, you will have to mail in your return. You won’t have an option to electronically file your return.

Also, you may need to pay for the software.

There are several tax software providers that participate in the IRS Free File program that also offer prior-year tax software, including:

  • FreeTaxUSA: $0 for Federal return; $14.99 for state return
  • OnLine Taxes: $0-$7.95 for Federal return; $7.95-$9.95 for state return
  • TaxSlayer: $29.99 for Federal return; $29.99 for state return

We'd love to hear from you!

Please let us know what you need help with with this short 3-minute survey.

Father and son at the Lucha Libre in the Park