Over 9 million people in the U.S. were eligible for the first stimulus check from the federal government, but needed to take action to receive one.
If you haven’t received your stimulus check yet, you might still be eligible.
Get My Payment IL is a coalition of five nonprofit organizations working to help make sure those hit hardest by the pandemic receive their stimulus checks. The Get My Payment IL team has a number of tools on its website that can help you get your stimulus check.
Check if you are eligible
Use our interactive eligibility checker on the bottom of the Get My Payment IL homepage to see if you are eligible for a stimulus check. Answering a few questions will help you learn what to do next. We will not ask you to share any sensitive or personal information and we will not record or share your answers.
Here’s what you need to be eligible for a stimulus check:
- Tengan un Número de Seguro Social válido,
- No puedan ser reclamados como dependientes de otro contribuyente, y
- Tengan un ingreso bruto ajustado inferior a:
- $ 75,000 para personas individuales
- $112,500 para personas individuales que han declarado impuestos como jefe de hogar
- $150,000 para parejas casadas que presentan declaraciones de impuestos conjuntas
Taxpayers will receive a reduced stimulus check if their adjusted gross income is between:
- $75,000 y $99,000 si han declarado impuestos como soltero o como casado con declaración separada
- $112,500 y $136,500 para personas individuales que han declarado impuestos como jefe de hogar
- $150,000 y $198,000 para parejas casadas que p han declarado impuestos de manera conjunta
The amount of the reduced payment will be based upon your specific adjusted gross income.
Those who do not make enough money to file a tax return are also eligible. This includes people receiving Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivors benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), veterans benefits, or Railroad Retirement benefits.
Good news! Most adults in the US are eligible to receive a stimulus check. However, if someone on your tax return doesn’t have a valid Social Security Number, or if you are currently incarcerated, you are not eligible. Some families where one or more members do not have a valid Social Security Number may be eligible for the Chicago Resiliency Fund administered by The Resurrection Project. Check to see if they have announced another round of funding aquí.
Decide whether you should file taxes to get additional money or if you can use the nonfiler site to get your stimulus check.
Some people are not required to file taxes because they earn less than $12,200 a year for a single filer or $24,400 for a married couple filing jointly. However, by filing taxes you could receive your stimulus check as well as additional money from a tax credit like the Earned Income Tax Credit. Learn more about whether you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit aquí.
The bottom line
If you are not required to file taxes, you do not have to file a return to get the stimulus check. Instead, you can enter your payment information on the portal del IRS para personas que no declaran impuestos to get the amount.
However, you should still file your 2019 taxes for the following reasons:
- You had income tax withheld from your pay, pension, social security, or other income.
- Usted califica para el crédito por ingreso del trabajo. Visite la página web del IRS Crédito por Ingreso del Trabajo (EITC) webpage for more information and use this Verificador de Elegibilidad para el Crédito por Ingreso del Trabajo (EITC).
- Usted califica para el crédito fiscal adicional por hijos.
- You made estimated tax payments for the year or had any of your overpayment for last year’s estimated tax applied to this year’s taxes (for example self-employed business owners).
- You qualify for the refundable credit for prior year minimum tax. See Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax — Individuals, Estates, and Trusts.
- You qualify for a refundable American Opportunity Credit.
- Usted recibe un 1099-B y los ingresos brutos más otros ingresos exceden los límites de declaración de impuestos en el Gráfico A.
- Usted recibe el Formulario 1099-S, Ganancias de Transacciones Inmobiliarias.
- Usted califica para el impuesto federal sobre combustibles.
- Usted debe presentar una declaración estatal.
- Usted califica para el Crédito Fiscal Premium.
There is good news! You have until October 15, 2020, to submit tax returns to get a stimulus check by the end of 2020.
If you don’t need to file a tax return, here’s a list of what you’ll need to prepare to request your stimulus check through the portal del IRS para personas que no declaran impuestos.
Check to see if your stimulus check is on its way
¡Si ya presentó su declaración de impuestos y usó el depósito directo para la devolución de impuestos, ya está listo!
People with bank account information already on file with the IRS will receive their payments fastest. But, paper checks may take up to five months.
Entering a direct deposit bank account number could help speed up the process. If you have a bank account or prepaid debit card, you can enter your direct deposit information on the IRS website when you file taxes or submit your information on the IRS non-filer portal. If you filed taxes earlier this year or last year, you can no longer add bank information to receive direct deposit after May 13th.
Local banks are offering lower cost, safe accounts for people who need a bank account through Bank On. Learn how to get a Bank On account online or what to do if you can’t get one.
Utilice IRS Get My Payment app to check the status of your stimulus check (called the Economic Impact Payment). You’ll be asked to click okay to confirm that you are an authorized user. Some people have had to check the website daily to get updated information.
Still having trouble? Get My Payment can help! Ask us!
You might be asking “when will I get my stimulus check?” or “how do I get my stimulus check?” You can use our “Preguntas frecuentes” section to check your eligibility or get answers to common questions.
If you live in Illinois contact our team for support:
By email: help@GetMyPaymentIL.org
By phone: 888-553-9777
Let us know what you’ve had trouble with
¿Tuvo algún problema para recibir el pago o para usar el sitio web del IRS? Avísenos para que podamos pedirle al IRS que haga mejoras en el sistema. Use este formulario en línea de 3 preguntas para contarnos su experiencia.
One last chance!
Even if you missed the extended July 15th deadline for filing taxes, you may have until October 15th to claim your stimulus check before the end of 2020. You may also claim the stimulus check on your 2020 taxes if you file taxes in 2021.